18 Easy Steps You Can Take to Begin a Healthier Lifestyle
Everyone wants to be healthy as long as it doesn’t take too much work. Unfortunately it isn’t that easy but is doable and once you’re into a routine, it becomes a habit, then a lifestyle, then easy.
Here are some tips just for you:
- Spend 30 minutes a day in structured movement of some sort.
- Eat several small meals a day that are balanced in protein, carbs, fruit, vegetables and fiber.
- Have periodic checkups with appropriate doctors to prevent any major health crises before they occur.
- Read at least five pages of mind stretching material each day to stimulate your thought processes.
- Write down one positive thing that you have experienced that day before you go to sleep.
- Write down one thing you have done to inch you forward to a goal you have.
- Take your supplements on time every day.
- Take your prescription medicine on time every day.
- Stay away from areas where you can pick up bacterial infections and people who are sneezing or coughing.
- Wash your hands before every meal.
- Smile several times a day and make sure you laugh as often as possible.
- Hug a child, an animal or yourself several times a day.
- Draw your own life, cartoon style.
- Call a friend you haven’t spoken to in a while and pledge to stay in touch. Then do it.
- Go to a movie that makes you laugh.
- Take a class in something you’ve always wanted to learn.
- Have a girls night out and share stories that warm your heart.
- Take a trip to that special place you’ve always wanted to go.
You might be thinking—what does any of this have to do with health and wellness.
If you don’t feel good or have wonderful people and experiences surrounding you—you can’t possibly be feeling healthy. All of these things combine to carry you forth to another day.
There are documented cases of people who were literally given days or weeks to live, but had a special event or moment that they were determined to see, and lived until that time. When the event was over, they decided it was time to let go.
Your state of mind has everything to do with where you are going and how you live your life.
As a three time cancer survivor, I can attest to the fact that the human spirit and mind has a lot to do with energy levels and survival. What you think can determine how you are. Your actions can move you forward or hold you back.
Some people need a personal motivator to keep them on the right track. Is that a personal trainer or a special diet plan (think Kirstie Alley) or maybe even a coach who you call weekly to check in with. Flash cards can help if you carry them with you or place them on your mirror so you can see them first thing every morning. You can even make your own on index cards, which may have more meaning for you because they are your own personal phrases.
Just because you join a gym, doesn’t mean you will go. And just because you go, doesn’t mean you are doing anything meaningful. I have seen people on treadmills, pushing the “butt blaster” riding the bike and even on a stability ball talking on their cell phones. I know there are emergencies that occur, but not at the levels of talk I’ve seen.
In the end, it is up to you. You can make it as easy or complicated as you want. But if you follow any of the 18 steps I’ve given you, I know that you will feel better, have more energy and live a fuller life.
It is my wish and hope that you have a wonderful and healthy life.
Welcome to the world of health and wellness!